Apply Now
Apply Now

Essential Information

Code of Practice 

Animation College has agreed to observe and be bound by the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students published by the Ministry of Education.

Student Visas

International students are required to have a Student Visa to be able to study at the institutes for longer than three months. If you bring your spouse/partner and/or children with you to New Zealand, they will need their own visitor’s visa. 

For full details of immigration requirements, advice on your right to employment in New Zealand while studying, and reporting requirements, please visit the Immigration New Zealand website at


International students are required to have 100% attendance.

Work Rights

Under certain conditions, international students are able to work part-time (up to 20 hours per week) during the academic year or full-time (during scheduled institutions vacations). 

On completion of your degree or diploma, you may apply for a 12-month Post Study Work Visa (open) to allow you to look for work. If you find employment you can apply for a Post-Study Work Visa (employer-assisted) which allows you to gain work experience for two years. As special conditions can apply, please visit the Immigration New Zealand website at

Minimum Wage

The current minimum wage rates (before tax) are as at 1 April 2016 and apply to employees aged 16 years or over, please check this website for the most up-to-date information

Cost of Living in NZ

Please be informed of living costs, renting or boarding may vary depending on your distance from the main centre. Visit this site for more information

Eligibility for Health Services

Most international students are not entitled to publicly-funded health services while in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly-funded services are available through the Ministry of Health, and can be viewed at

NZ Weather

Be prepared for the NZ weather, visit MetService for the latest seasonal weather forecasts and information.

NZ Language & Slang

The official languages of NZ are English and Maori however, there are a lotlocal slang and language that may cause confusion. Please visit this link for guidelines

Accident & Insurance

The Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents, and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs. Further information can be viewed on the ACC website at

Medical & Travel Insurance

It is compulsory for international students to have comprehensive medical and travel insurance while studying in New Zealand. Enrolment at Animation College and AMES is conditional on showing evidence of comprehensive medical and travel cover. You can also purchase medical and travel insurance policy from us. Medical and travel insurance to be purchased at the same time with your full course fees.

International Student Support

If you are new to New Zealand, we appreciate and understand that there will be things you want and need to know. 

We have dedicated team to support you in areas of accommodation information, Pastoral Care, IT support, Academic support, Career assistance, International Student Orientation, Community Events and Counselling services. They will be more than happy to assist you with any queries.